The Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) was founded in 2001 to protect, rescue, rehabilitate and care for wildlife that has been exploited by people or otherwise come into conflict with humans, to care for confiscated wildlife, and to raise awareness of the threats faced by the wildlife of Thailand and South- East Asia in general.
Located in Phetchaburi Province, as of May 2017 WFFT now cares for over 500 wild animals. They include over 250 primates, Asian elephants, bears, felines, reptiles and nocturnal mammals, many of which are threatened and endangered species.
What do they do?
WFFT runs the following projects:
- Elephant Refuge (Thailand)
- Wildlife Rescue Centre (Thailand)
- Wildlife Rescue Centre (Laos)
- Loris Rescue and Release Project
- Wildlife Hospital and Mobile Wildlife Rescue Team
- Tree Nursery and Forest Restoration Project
- A Volunteer Scheme where people from all over the world can donate their time to come and help at WFFT.
WFFT Aims and Objectives:
- Rescue wild animals from captivity where they are maltreated or neglected, and to provide the ones that cannot return home a place where they can spend the rest of their lives in a sanctuary, providing them with a home as close to their natural environment as possible, with the best possible care. In particular, WFFT aims to provides sanctuary for those animals whom no-one else is prepared to care for e.g. the sick or disabled.
- Educate people, particularly children to stop the exploitation and cruelty to animals, and to understand the intrinsic value of nature. In particular, WFFT campaigns against the illegal trade in wild animals for the pet industry and to discourage the use of animals in entertainment, for example, as photo-props or in performing animals shows.
- Prevent hunting of wildlife, and promote conservation of all natural resources, fauna and flora alike. Educate local people, tourists and the international community to appreciate, understand and protect wild animals and their rainforest habitat. Cooperate with and assist the Department of National Parks and other organisations concerned with the rescue and conservation of wild animals.
- Gather knowledge and take part of rehabilitation and release programs for those animals that qualify for re-introduction into the wild.
- Set up and join activities with other charitable organisations and authorities for the public benefit.
How can you help?
- DONATE – Individual or group donations can be made online via PayPal or by bank transfer www.wfft.org/donate
- VOLUNTEER – Why not join one of our many volunteers programs minimum stay is at least one week. See www.wildlifevolunteer.org
- VISIT or STAY a few days – Why not come and spend the day at WFFT?
- FUNDRAISE – From sponsored walks to donation boxes, there are many ways to fundraise
- CAMPAIGN & EDUCATE – Spread awareness of WFFT’s current campaigns and educate others to the issues surrounding the abuse of wildlife. Use the resources in the education section at www.wfft.org.
- MATERIALS – Supply with materials at discount prices or free of charge. We are always in need of
medical supplies and equipment, building materials. Some items can be seen at www.wfft.org/donate/wish-list/
- CORPORATE – Do you know of or work for a company that would be able to provide us with corporate sponsor?
- ADOPT – Adopt one of WFFT’s residents for yourself or as a gift, by doing this you will be helping secure their future see www.wfft.org/adoptions/
- PROMOTE – Promote WFFT through local media by contacting your local outlet, social media by joining our Facebook page or following us on Twitter, and speak to your friends and family, education is the key!!!
EXO Foundation Support
EXO Foundation have been willing to support wildlife in Thailand and in particular elephant welfare for a very long time. It has been amazingly difficult to identify a reliable organisation which was able to provide basic reporting on its activities and Finance which are our basic preconditions to disburse funds, and /or willing to sign a cooperation agreement. After a year of search and failed contacts with elephants welfare projects (none complied to our very basic conditions) . We finally identified WFFT and we are real delighted to support their superb work and commitment to animal cause.
We start our collaboration in 2017 and we hope this will be a long term one.
EXO Foundation encourage EXO Travel to spread WFFT activities and lodge to their clients and travelers who can happily contribute by visiting or staying overnight thus supporting while enjoying a unique experience.
Could as well be a perfect project to support reforestation and tree planting.
In 2017 we gave $4,800. WFFT decided as follow: ‘The money will go towards the creation of the biggest elephant enclosure in the region at the WFFT Elephant Refuge, it will go directly to the purchase of land. The enclosure will be a 20 hectare protected habitat for rescued elephants. It will provide a large herd of around 20 elephants with grassland, forest and wetland areas for them to spend their days. We aim to raise $220,000 to help us create this amazing place for elephants, the funds from EXO will bring us closer to our target.’
Help them to reach their target .