MICE groups can often be seen as the antithesis to sustainable tourism due to its luxury positioning and high participant numbers. Here at EXO, however, we pride ourselves off creating MICE programs that are both beneficial and sustainable for clients and the community.
Tourism is a great opportunity to act positively within societies and in destinations, communities, and the environment.
At EXO, sustainability is embedded in all areas of our work, from staff and suppliers to clients and travellers. Our tailor-made MICE experiences develop unique activities and events that achieve client objectives, while simultaneously benefiting the destination country and its people in a meaningful, long lasting way; an unforgettable memory for all involved.
EXO sustainability coordinators and the EXO Foundation, together with in-country MICE departments, work with the supply chain to offer the best choice of responsible services and CSR activities throughout MICE trips. The result: an itinerary that offers the greatest possible impact across society, culture, and the environment.
Through the EXO Foundation, we have developed relationships with local charity and development organizations that work to change the livelihoods of thousands.
We invite you to consider our sustainable options from an early stage:
- Accommodation outlets that are committed to improving their resource consumption and supporting local development.
- The best modern vehicles producing fewer emissions.
- A carbon offset scheme partnered with Nexus to fund projects using energy saving equipment for rural people, at the same time improving their livelihoods, working conditions, and economics.
- Using refillable bottles specially designed to avoid plastic waste. See last month’s article here.
- Purchase authentic gifts from fair trade shops, made by talented local craftsmen, and supporting projects that enable entire families to look forward to a better future.
- Share EXO Foundation’s “Tips for Responsible Travel” to clients and participants, introducing them to local customs and offering environmental tips.
- Engage in CSR activities or support endangered wildlife/environmental projects- life changing experiences for both
Corporate Social Responsibility has several objectives:
- Demonstrate your commitment to social and environmental responsibility.
- Motivate staff to exchange, give, and learn about alternative options.
- Share benefits by giving back to disadvantaged communities.
- Be unique.
Handing out medicines to hospitals, clothes or gifts to children, playing with children at daycare centers, painting the wall of a local school or even building one are very common CSR activities. However, they are not necessarily as beneficial as one is led to believe. For example, Friends International, Save the Children, APLE and UNICEF denounce schools/orphanages/hospitals visits as detrimental to child development.
The good news is that with EXO Foundation, we have established partnerships with local organizations to provide tailor-made CSR activities. Sometimes just having “good intentions” is not always enough; our ambition is to go beyond expectations and to ensure tourism supports long-term development, alleviates the burden of poverty, and lights up the lives of others.
Together, let’s develop the new generation of MICE.